cuentacuentos, storytelling, song
Department of Speech and Communication
Speech Assessment Criteria
I. CONTENT (Grade: __________/ +34)
If plagiarized, in whole or in part, the speech
is null and void and must be redone.
1. The Thesis Statement uses specific language,
expresses one main idea, takes a supportive position +6
(when appropriate), and makes a statement.
2. Main points including evidence are clearly phrased + 6
and fully support the thesis statement.
3. Includes transitional statements between topics. + 6
4. Grammar and usage, word-choice, demonstrate
an awareness of emotional and logical appeals. + 6
5. Documented research: 3-5 source materials are
cited in the speech and are documented on the last + 6
page of the outline. (These citations must be
researched and are cited according to the APA style.
Use noodle tool.)
6. It is desirable that a degree of creativity and + 4
originality are demonstrated.
II. ORGANIZATION: (Grade:____________/ +36 )
1. The 3-part outline includes an introduction, body,
and conclusion. (Tell them what you are going to +2
tell them, tell them, tell them what you told them.)
2. The Introduction includes 3 parts and is +2
mirrored in the conclusion.
a. The Attention-Getter (Device used: rhetorical +2
and/or direct question, startling statement,
quotation, anecdote, unusual statistic, illustration,
b. The Thesis Statement is the central idea +2
about which the speaker intends to present.
c. The Preview states the topics that are +2
going to be discussed in the body.
3. The Body of the speech includes 3-5 topics +2
which support the thesis statement.
4. What is the organizational pattern: topical, +2
chronological, spatial, cause-effect,,
problem-solution, comparative advantage,
criteria satisfaction, motivated sequence, other.
5. Each topic is connected with a transitional +2
6. Each topic is of equal importance +2
and there are no digressions.
7. Each topic has at least two pieces of evidence. +2
8. Each piece of evidence supports the topic. +2
9. The Conclusion has 3 parts: Review, +2
a. The Review (is parallel to the preview.) +2
b. The Overview or generalization of the lesson
learned (is parallel to the thesis statement.) +2
c. The Closing Statement is memorable and
(is parallel to the attention-getter.) +2
10. Visual aids are used appropriately. (Legible +2
and big enough to see, etc.)
11. Power-point is employed effectively. +2
12. The time-limit is observed. +2
III. DELIVERY: (Grade:____________/ +30)
1. Dress and grooming are appropriate. +2
2. Eye contact is effective. +2
3. Facial expression is appropriately animated. +2
a. The accuracy of pronunciation of Standard +2
b. Vocal Variety +2
c. Verbal Disfluencies +2
d. Voice Rate – Speed +2
e. Volume +2
4. Upper Body +2
5. Hand Gestures +2
6. Lower Body +2
7. General poise, presence and projection +2
8. Does the speaker connect with the audience? +2
9. Degree of preparedness. +2
10. Use of note cards. +2
Last updated by Richard Green Nov 21, 2012.